“I wish I had more than 24 hours in a day!” Are you with me on this?
You know what the thing really is? It is actually not the fact that we only have 24 hours in a day. It is not the number of hours we have in a day that counts – it is actually how we manage these hours that counts.
Steve Jobs and Abraham Lincoln also had 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Both of them accomplished great things. But why do these great people had different level of output, success and efficiency? What separate them from the average ones?
Effective and efficient time management.
When can we tell that we are using our time effectively?
Effective time management doesn’t necessarily mean doing more things or getting them done quickly. It means getting more of the important work done with less effort and making most of the time you’ve got. We all have the same hours every day, how come some people achieve more? Well, it’s because they managed their time effectively and efficiently.
Here are tips to effectively manage your time:
1) Stop multi-tasking. If you want to get more done in less time, you need to stop multitasking. Multi-tasking will either give you a lesser quality of work and additional work due to mistakes. Focus on the most important task instead of doing everything at the same time. Always remember that “doing less is accomplishing more”.
2) Be organized. Develop healthy habits like plan things, take down notes, make schedules and deadlines, don’t procrastinate, and place and label your things properly. Most importantly, work harder on keeping your healthy habits as it is.
3) Avoid distractions. This also means keeping a check on the amount of time you spend on social media. As you know, you may not notice that you’ve been spending most of your time on social media chatting, reading, or checking and responding to emails. Keeping up with the trend to stay updated could be a trap.
4) Take Action! Instead of complaining, why not just do and get things done. Try to see things from a different perspective and ditch all the negative thoughts so you can focus on getting things done and solutions whenever something came up.
5) Exercise. Do not underestimate the motivation and energy that an hour work-out can give you. Take a break, move your muscles, and workout.
6) Have a To-Do List. List down your daily agenda. A list will keep you motivated every time you tick off a task from your list.
7) Set your goals. Your goal must be clear and well defined. Include precise dates and a time limit so you can measure your accomplishment.
8) Set your priorities. Prioritize tasks based on importance and urgency.
9) Take breaks between tasks. We all have a different attention span, different “laser-like focus time”. If you can work for straight 5 hours without being “tired” and is still productive – that is great! But, if you are most of us who need to sustain at least 8 hours of work to finish a project or a task, it is advisable to take “enough” breaks. Having breaks will actually give you more focus and concentration. So, the next time you feel tired from doing all the work, take time to refresh, take a nap, or go on walks.
Knowing and learning how to manage your time effectively and efficiently is important as it brings a number of great benefits to your work routine and personal life, as well. The more control you have for your time, the more control you have in your life. We all have 24 hours in a day. Be sure to use it wisely but don’t forget to rest when you have to.
Do you like to talk more about time management and topics related to managing time efficiently? Feel free to drop a message!